Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My Thumb is GREEN!

I have proof that my "vision" for this year has produced a green thumb in me! I have recently come to realize that  my lack of vision could be, and most likely is, the reason for my serial plant kills. But, this year I have VISION!

I love Plumbago's but the deer love them even more than that because they eat them as quickly as I plant them. So, I finally had a good idea and planted one in a huge pot and it worked until one day I walked out and the plant was, well dead. Let me recap- one day it was alive, the very next day it was dead. That's really how it happened. So, I had one of my consulting gardeners take a look at it and she was also baffled. I cut it to the ground and the other day I noticed it's sporting bright green leaves. WOOT!

Here's a picture for proof:

Now, if I could just bring my Banana Tree back from the dead, I would be very happy. I cut it to the ground, as instructed, and was told that it would come back 10 times as strong..well, the fucker looks pretty fucking dead to me. I flooded it with water last week because they love water and they thrive in the rain forest. That seemed like a good idea, right? Well, maybe not so smart because the next day the base was shredded like it was rotten and falling apart. I think there's a reason they're not so native here. lol. 

6 comments:

  1. I heard your bananna tree is trying to come back. That is freaking great! I would love to see a picture. btw, You do have a green thumb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww, thank you! I'm very, very excited about my green thumb! WOOT! Yes, my banana tree is making a come back, too. Yesterday there was about an inch of new growth and today it's at least 2 inches...those things grow with amazing speed. lol. I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it for you. Thank you for being so interested. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would so love to have the climate to have our own bananna tree. That would be so cool! I envy your tree sprout :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Don't envy it too soon..I just haven't had time to damage it. ... I'll send you a picture this weekend because it's sprouting at least an inch a day..I love that! It's instant gratification at it's best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it might have been cold snaps at night that frosted them back to stumps. Those little milk jug greenhouses work wonders for that. You can leave them on for a full month without problems. There is still snow on the ground here. but only in piles and drifts. I'll work up my garden when it isnt all muddy and frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In order for the banana tree's to survive, we have to cut them to the ground each fall..then they come back ten-fold in the spring. I usually have to block the plants on the north side with plywood, because the we have high winds where we are...but, I think I'm going to try the milk jug trick on a few plants next year. Thanks for that!

    I'd love to see your garden, when you have pictures..

    ReplyDelete