Thursday, February 17, 2011

2011 Garden Ideas

So, you know how I have been trying to have a garden for over four years now? I've decided to stop planting sun loving plants in the shade, which is where my garden is. I've also realized that trying to plant something that I find beautiful isn't a good idea either because those are what the deer find to be deliciously tasteful. I've also come up with a MASTER plan, which, if you ask me, is the best plan of all plans! Okay, here it goes. I'm going to have potted plants all over our patio that will house the flowers that the deer like to eat. I will then have Cowboy Bubba sitting on the deck with a rifle. In my north side garden I'm going to have a Cross Vine (that has already been planted), a shrub of some sort and then I'm going to add a truck load of ferns. They love shade, deer hate them and they don't die, even when I try to kill them. That's a damn good sign for me and my garden. Over in front of the pump house I'm going to plant moon flower vines that Randy (the windmill maker) sent to me. This area has an hour of morning sun and then a couple hours of late afternoon sun. 


Here's what I would like from you...what do you have in your garden that you think mine is lacking? I will have an awesome garden by the fall, damn it, if it's the last thing I do! I've resorted to reading a text book on gardening, that's how much I really want a garden. So, please post your ideas...please!

6 comments:

  1. Woot Woot!!!! I'll clean and load my SKS this weekend then. I say add some aloe vera plants. You may want to look at this web site http://www.eburgess.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I do have a piece of an aloe vera plant that someone gave me over the weekend. I've put it in a pot and found a corner inside for it. Could I plant that in the garden, too? Does it need shade or sun and will the deer eat it? I mean, I don't imagine the texture would be pleasing for them but the gooey center might be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have several planted along the front steps and deck. I have never had a problem with animals eating them. They will grow just about anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like edible plants. Many of them put on an awesome blossom before they fruit. Squashs like Acorn or Pumpkin have a huge orangeyellow bloom. They tend to crawl and spread out so you can steer them and them wring their neck when they get long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a plant called LemonBalm that looks and smells good at the same time. When you crush the leaves it smells like lemon creme pastry. It is a herb that has different mewdical qualites if used for a tea. a web search will give cooking uses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmm I love plants that have a good scent to them, plus the deer are less likely to feast on them..

    ReplyDelete