Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Word "Y'all"

The use of "Y'all" is over used, in my opinion, and it's really used out of context by those who are from somewhere other than the south. It's a slang word that was created to mean "you all" or "you guys". It irks me when someone learns that I'm from Texas and they say, "Howdy, how are y'all". First of all, it's not really a Texas word, although we use it, second of all, you don't say "y'all" when you're only speaking to me, as in ONE FUCKING PERSON! You use "y'all" in a plural sense and saying it with the word "howdy" makes you look like an ignorant fool. We don't use that word in redneck fashion which is how I feel it's used when it's said by someone who really believes we all talk like that! Also, I don't use the word "y'all" so if you're saying it to me, to be cute, you don't know me well at all. I'm not saying, I'm just saying. With that said, I don't use that word because I'm the only Texan in my family and growing up my brothers and parents refused to conform to the "southern slang" use of words so I never picked them up myself. So, that's that. Don't use the fucking word to be cool, dude! 

5 comments:

  1. You are cute as a damn button when you're on a rant! And I'm guilty, I say y'all....especially the more I drink! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I won't be saying y'all at the Tuesday night shows. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I'll have to stop sayin " Howdy Y'all" everyday when I sign on to twitter.... lol
    Love Ya, Hun...

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL You guys are missing my point, Kristine and Bubba. Kristine, you're from the south, kind of, and so of course you say "Y'all"! If you were from, I don't know, New York, and you were saying it just to say it, then it would be ridiculous! Bubba, I love it when you say "Howdy Y'all". You're from Texas and "howdy" is a word that's used...what I meant was that when people say it in a derogatory tone, it's insulting. Make sense?

    Outlaw, you're from Canada, I'm pretty sure "y'all" is not a term you use, unless you're talking to a southerner. Am I right? Point made.

    Alright, not I'm going to go have my coffee, y'all. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. The word does slip out of my mouth the odd time or two but in general you're right Angel.

    ReplyDelete