Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Holiday's

The Holiday's used to be my least favorite time of year. Well, after Thanksgiving, that is. I've always loved that day. The Holiday's, as in all of December. It wasn't always a happy time, when I was growing up. Not to say, I had a bad childhood, because I don't think that I did. It's just that the holiday's always brought back the sadness of those we lost, years before we should have. It wasn't, however, meant to be sad. Or at least that's what I have always tried to convince myself of. The tree never went up until about a week or a few days before Christmas. Until then, everyone was fine. But, mom, being a mom, wanted to put it up for the kids. So, since I was the only daughter that became my project too. Unfortunately. Before long I was doing it all on my own. To get to the point, Dad hated Christmas time. HATED IT! Until I was in High School I just ignored it. By the time I graduated, I hated Christmas just as much as he did, if not more. The last year that the tree went up I announced that this would be the last year, at it was. When I moved out I took my hatred for the holiday's with me. When I married I continued the tradition of hating Christmas. The problem was, Devil always loved getting into the spirit of things. He'd go out of his way to make me like it, just as much, but I was determined to hate it enough for both of us. About six years ago I remember coming home from work to find lights lit up all over the yard and Devil standing with a big grin. I walked up and immediately his smile was gone. You would think it would hit me, but truthfully it didn't until about two years ago. I woke up one day with only a few days to go until Christmas and told him we should decorate and really go all out. Well, to my chagrin, he had started hating the holiday's a few years ago and I never even realized it. What an asshole, I am. January of 2009 I made my first list of resolutions and the only thing on that list was TO GIVE DEVIL HIS CHRISTMAS BACK. That's just what I did, too. Last year we went out and bought a tree and went to the storage locker and loaded up about 45 plastic crates that came from his mom's house. We were so excited that we put the tree up as soon as we returned home from our annual Thanksgiving trip. It was awesome! I have never known Christmas as a fun time, until I took it away from Devil. But, I've given it back and we're both enjoying it. I've just finished decorating today and our house looks very festive and happy. That's what the holiday's are about. 


Here's wishing you and your's a very happy holiday season.


XOXO,
Angel

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that you and Devil have your Christmas spirit back. Hope you both have a happy holiday season.

    ReplyDelete